• Pet eNews
  • Pet owner asks for warning labels on petfood packaging after dog suffocates

    Release Date: Tuesday, July 02 , 2013

    A pet owner in Canada is hoping to raise awareness about petfood packaging dangers after her Yellow Lab suffocated after getting his head stuck in a petfood bag, according to a report.

    Natalie Burnell took one of her dogs for a walk, while leaving her other dog, Bison, at home in the basement. But, Bison got into a bag of cat food in the home, which got stuck on the dog's head and caused him to panic, Burnell said. Burnell found the dog dead in the basement when she came home.

    "I had no idea he could suffocate from these bags. . . . I keep blaming myself for not putting the bag one shelf higher," she said. "It's been such a huge blow. He was such a big part of our lives and we thought he would live a long life.''

    Burnell advises pet owners to cut up the petfood bags before throwing them away. She is also asking petfood manufacturers to put warning labels on the packaging so that other owners do not experience the same thing with their pets.