Quick hits: The latest news at a glance!
View the latest, up-to-the-minute news from important industry players.
Got a new website or product? Recently earn certification or win an award? Have positions changed within your company?
The Quick hits section is the place to send and find this information. Updated regularly.
- Freshpet Inc. has promoted Scott Morris from chief marketing officer to chief operating officer. He will now be responsible for sales and marketing, innovation, and Freshpet Fridge operations. As part of its strategic growth plan, the company also announced appointments to three new positions: Stephen Weise to executive vice president of manufacturing and supply chain, Lisa Barrette to vice president of business development, and Christopher Taranto to vice president of procurement and planning. All leadership appointments are effective immediately.
- Free Raised Pet Products has named Brendan Glenwright as marketing director.
- Kemin Industries held a ceremonial groundbreaking for its new 90,000+ Des Moines, Iowa, USA, corporate headquarters.
- Hi-Tek Naturals Dog Food, produced by Dublin, Georgia, USA-based Hi-Tek Rations, was selected among the 26 best dog food brands available in the United States by Review.com, a Seattle research and reporting organization that rates products, services, and corporations.
- The American Feed Industry Association (AFIA) says it applauds the Senate's passage of trade promotion authority. "We now urge President Obama to sign TPA quickly so overseas market opportunities for the U.S. animal food industry and the rest of American agriculture can be realized as soon as possible.,” AFIA said in a statement.
- Three Dog Bakery recently earned BRC certification, a highly regarded management scheme recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) board. The designation indicates that the company’s manufacturing meets internationally recognized food safety standards.
- Pet industry veteran Colette Fairchild has joined the ReelPaws Productions team as director of business development.
- Ainsworth Pet Nutrition has switched from wood pallets to plastic pallet solutions, selecting iGPS Logistics as its new national shipping platform.
- Big Heart Pet Brands and Petzila have partnered to unveil the Petzi Treat Cam, an enhanced device from Petzila which allows pet owners to capture video and audio, take pictures and dispense treats to their pets remotely using any smart device.
- PECO Pallet Inc. recently opened a new pallet depot in Calgary, Canada, to service the pallet pooler’s customers in Calgary and surrounding areas.
- Page’s Healthy Paws was selected as the Best Pet Food/Supply Store in the Daily Herald 2015 Readers’ Choice “Best of the Best” Awards.
- Bosch Packaging Technology’s sales revenue for the fiscal year increased by EUR70 million (US$78.8 million) to about EUR1.18 billion (US$1.33 billion), which corresponds to a nominal growth rate of 6.3 percent.
- Vets Plus Inc., the manufacturer of My Skinny, will now be the distributor for the line of 12 soft chew and jerky treats for dogs as well. The company will bring the treats to new channels, including pet specialty and veterinary, and expand the line.
- Ampac has won two Alufoil awards, sponsored by the European Aluminum Foil Association, and three AmeriStar Awards sponsored by the Institute of Packaging Professionals, for several of its product innovations including, JANS Marinade Pouch, Pull TabTM by Ampac, E-Z SnackPak, Oh Snap! Pickles and Microdermis Provodine antiseptic pouch.
- Lady Gaga announced via Instagram that she plans to launch a clothing line for puppies. She also hinted that she also may be looking into starting an organic pet food line.
- Effective May 1, the Northpoint Trading Co. selection of products will include Bravo pet food and treats. Independent retailers in Washington and Oregon can now order Bravo with added convenience.
- Shane Geisheimer has joined Matrix Partners’ digital marketing team as vice president of consumer digital engagement.
- Women in the Pet Industry Network, an organization focused on women working in the pet industry, has released the spring 2015 issue of its Top Women in the Pet Industry Magazine, a digital guide to some of the world’s most popular and innovative pet-related services, products, associations and publications.
- Vets Plus Inc. has received the National Animal Supplement Council’s Visibility Award for the third time and second consecutive year.
- Big Lots has launched AKC Select, an exclusive line of pet products featuring the American Kennel Club brand. The AKC Select line of products will feature a large range of dog toys and treats along with other dog accessories such as collars, leashes, beds and grooming supplies.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration (GIPSA) has awarded a five year contract to Charm Sciences Inc. to monitor aflatoxin in grains utilizing Charm’s ROSA WET-S5 Aflatoxin Quantitative Test (water-based) and ROSA FAST Aflatoxin Quantitative Test (solvent-based).
- AIB International has hired food safety professional Earl Arnold Jr. to implement and develop new food defense offerings to meet the diverse needs of the food industry.
- The American Feed Industry Association has named Charles Starkey PhD, of Balchem Animal Nutrition and Health, as its Member of the Year during a ceremony at its board of directors meeting May 12-13, in Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Bemis Company Inc. has been selected as a winner in the 2015 DuPont Packaging Awards for Packaging Innovation competition, receiving a Silver Award in the Enhanced User Experience category for the BelGioioso resealable provolone package.
- The American Feed Industry Association has named Gary Huddleston as its manager of feed manufacturing safety and environmental affairs.
- The American Feed Industry Association issued a statement on May 14, 2015, saying it applauds the Senate’s approval of the motion to proceed regarding trade promotion authority legislation.
- Zip-Pak was named Supplier of the Year for 2014 by Tyson Foods Inc.
- WATT Global Media has hired Lisa Kirschner to support its editorial team in content management and analysis. Kirschner has more than 20 years of experience within the media and marketing services industries, having spent the last 13 years as the owner of consultative firm Flair Interactive Services Inc. She has worked with clients such as McDonald's, Zebra Technologies and Walgreens.
- Matrix Partners, a brand strategy and communications firm, has hired Alyson Brodsky and Christina Guenther. Brodsky, the new public relations account executive, is responsible for creating ideas and content for clients, as well as communicating with media outlets to secure coverage. As the social media coordinator, Guenther is responsible for developing social marketing strategies to increase engagement across various platforms.
- After breaking ground on the project less than a year ago, the Kansas State University Bulk Solids Innovation Center will celebrate its grand opening with a purple ribbon-cutting ceremony at 2 p.m. Thursday, May 14, in the 600 block of North Front Street in Salina. The public is welcome to attend.
- Effective May 1, Wolverton, a division of Phillips Pet Food & Supplies, is expanding its distribution services in Illinois and southern Wisconsin. Independent retailers in the area can now order Bravo pet food and treats with added convenience.
- As a result of its strong growth momentum in France and abroad, InVivo NSA is strengthening its teams and recruiting new talent to support its development over the next 10 years. InVivo NSA has launched a recruitment program for high-potential employees, and the company's management committee invites high-potential employees from all professional backgrounds to come and talk about their career plans in Paris on June 5 and in Rennes on June 19.
- AIB International Certification Services’ new website walks clients through the certification process from audit selection to achieving certification. The modernized site provides an audit scheme comparison table and highlights key benefits for each of the certification audits AIBI-CS provides to help companies select an audit that suits their needs.
- The American Veterinary Medical Foundation has named Dr. Tim Hunt -- veterinarian at Bayshore Vet Hospital in Harvey, Michigan, USA, and owner of Dr. Tim’s Pet Food -- as America’s Favorite Veterinarian.
- Vets Plus Inc. will celebrate 25 years of business in May 2015, and President and CEO Raj Lall has declared 2015 the Year of Innovation and Customer Focus.