Quick hits: The latest news at a glance!
View the latest, up-to-the-minute news from important industry players.
Got a new website or product? Recently earn certification or win an award? Have positions changed within your company?
The Quick hits section is the place to send and find this information. Updated regularly.
- Steve Ablett has been promoted to director – pet food at PolyCello.
- On July 14, 2015, Ross Process Equipment held the inauguration of its state-of-the-art 20,000-square-foot manufacturing plant and offices located in the Chakan MIDC industrial area of Pune, India. The new site sits on a 2.5-acre land large enough to accommodate further expansions up to double the initial plant space.
- Dvijal Patel joins Bühler Aeroglide’s process development group as a food technologist, specializing in food science microbiology.
- Glenroy Inc., a converter and printer of flexible packaging film and stand-up pouches, will commemorate the company's 50-year anniversary in July.
- Orffa has signed a strategic agreement with AP&C Industry Ltd. to strengthen its position as a global supplier of feed additives. AP&C will bring to Orffa services such as sourcing feed additives and APIs, supporting procurement activities, logistics, FDA-approved lab services, supplying market information, and product registrations in China.
- The J.M. Smucker Company’s Board of Directors has approved an increase in the quarterly dividend from $0.64 to $0.67 per common share, an increase of 5 percent. The dividend will be paid on September 1, 2015, to shareholders of record at the close of business on August 14, 2015.
- A black bear in Seminole County, Florida, USA, fell asleep in a homeowner’s yard after devouring a 50-pound bag of dog food, which it had taken from a nearby garage into the shade.
- David G. Fliss has been named AIB International’s vice president for client development, effective immediately.
- Roger Parsons has joined Wellpet’s leadership team as vice president of sales.
- The American Feed Industry Association (AFIA) has named Jessica Morse as its new manager of meetings and events. Morse will support Veronica Rovelli, AFIA director of meetings and events, to focus on the association's meeting efforts.
- Brakke Consulting Inc. and Trone Brand Energy are joining forces to conduct the Changing Pet Ownership Study, which will explore the evolutionary change in pet owner attitudes, lifestyle and purchase behavior and the implications to future pet ownership.
- InVivo Labs, the analytical division of InVivo NSA, and AdGène, an expert laboratory in molecular biology in France, have announced their strategic union.
- Freshpet Inc. has promoted Scott Morris from chief marketing officer to chief operating officer. He will now be responsible for sales and marketing, innovation, and Freshpet Fridge operations. As part of its strategic growth plan, the company also announced appointments to three new positions: Stephen Weise to executive vice president of manufacturing and supply chain, Lisa Barrette to vice president of business development, and Christopher Taranto to vice president of procurement and planning. All leadership appointments are effective immediately.
- Free Raised Pet Products has named Brendan Glenwright as marketing director.
- Kemin Industries held a ceremonial groundbreaking for its new 90,000+ Des Moines, Iowa, USA, corporate headquarters.
- Hi-Tek Naturals Dog Food, produced by Dublin, Georgia, USA-based Hi-Tek Rations, was selected among the 26 best dog food brands available in the United States by Review.com, a Seattle research and reporting organization that rates products, services, and corporations.
- The American Feed Industry Association (AFIA) says it applauds the Senate's passage of trade promotion authority. "We now urge President Obama to sign TPA quickly so overseas market opportunities for the U.S. animal food industry and the rest of American agriculture can be realized as soon as possible.,” AFIA said in a statement.
- Three Dog Bakery recently earned BRC certification, a highly regarded management scheme recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) board. The designation indicates that the company’s manufacturing meets internationally recognized food safety standards.
- Pet industry veteran Colette Fairchild has joined the ReelPaws Productions team as director of business development.
- Ainsworth Pet Nutrition has switched from wood pallets to plastic pallet solutions, selecting iGPS Logistics as its new national shipping platform.
- Big Heart Pet Brands and Petzila have partnered to unveil the Petzi Treat Cam, an enhanced device from Petzila which allows pet owners to capture video and audio, take pictures and dispense treats to their pets remotely using any smart device.
- PECO Pallet Inc. recently opened a new pallet depot in Calgary, Canada, to service the pallet pooler’s customers in Calgary and surrounding areas.
- Page’s Healthy Paws was selected as the Best Pet Food/Supply Store in the Daily Herald 2015 Readers’ Choice “Best of the Best” Awards.
- Bosch Packaging Technology’s sales revenue for the fiscal year increased by EUR70 million (US$78.8 million) to about EUR1.18 billion (US$1.33 billion), which corresponds to a nominal growth rate of 6.3 percent.
- Vets Plus Inc., the manufacturer of My Skinny, will now be the distributor for the line of 12 soft chew and jerky treats for dogs as well. The company will bring the treats to new channels, including pet specialty and veterinary, and expand the line.
- Ampac has won two Alufoil awards, sponsored by the European Aluminum Foil Association, and three AmeriStar Awards sponsored by the Institute of Packaging Professionals, for several of its product innovations including, JANS Marinade Pouch, Pull TabTM by Ampac, E-Z SnackPak, Oh Snap! Pickles and Microdermis Provodine antiseptic pouch.
- Lady Gaga announced via Instagram that she plans to launch a clothing line for puppies. She also hinted that she also may be looking into starting an organic pet food line.
- Effective May 1, the Northpoint Trading Co. selection of products will include Bravo pet food and treats. Independent retailers in Washington and Oregon can now order Bravo with added convenience.
- Shane Geisheimer has joined Matrix Partners’ digital marketing team as vice president of consumer digital engagement.
- Women in the Pet Industry Network, an organization focused on women working in the pet industry, has released the spring 2015 issue of its Top Women in the Pet Industry Magazine, a digital guide to some of the world’s most popular and innovative pet-related services, products, associations and publications.
- Vets Plus Inc. has received the National Animal Supplement Council’s Visibility Award for the third time and second consecutive year.
- Big Lots has launched AKC Select, an exclusive line of pet products featuring the American Kennel Club brand. The AKC Select line of products will feature a large range of dog toys and treats along with other dog accessories such as collars, leashes, beds and grooming supplies.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration (GIPSA) has awarded a five year contract to Charm Sciences Inc. to monitor aflatoxin in grains utilizing Charm’s ROSA WET-S5 Aflatoxin Quantitative Test (water-based) and ROSA FAST Aflatoxin Quantitative Test (solvent-based).
- AIB International has hired food safety professional Earl Arnold Jr. to implement and develop new food defense offerings to meet the diverse needs of the food industry.
- The American Feed Industry Association has named Charles Starkey PhD, of Balchem Animal Nutrition and Health, as its Member of the Year during a ceremony at its board of directors meeting May 12-13, in Arlington, Virginia, USA.