References for ‘Optimal pet nutrition: the ideal protein concept’
Find the sources behind the research on geriatric pets presented in Dr. Karen Wedekind's article on ideal levels of protein
DH, Czarnecki-Maulden GL, 1991. Comparative nutrition of cats and dogs. Annu Rev Nutr 11:239-263.
2. Xu J, Kochanek KD, Murphy SL, Tejada-Vera B, 2010. Deaths: final data for 2007. National Vital Statistics Reports 58:19. Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
3. Elliot J, Rawlings JM, Markwell PJ, Barber PJ, 2000. Survival of cats with naturally occurring chronic renal failure: effect of dietary management. J Sm Anim Pract 41:235-242.
4. Frantz NZ, Yamka RM, Friesen KG, 2007. The effect of diet and lysine:calorie ratio on body composition and kidney health in geriatric cats. Intern J Appl Res Vet Med. 5:25-36.
5. Janssen I, Heymsfield SB, Ross R, 2005. Low relative skeletal muscle mass (sarcopenia) in older persons is associated with functional impairment and physical disability. J Am Geriatr Soc 50:889-896.
6. Laflamme DP, 2005. Nutrition for aging cats and dogs and the importance of body condition. Vet Clin Small Anim 35:713-742.
7. Layman DK, 2009. Dietary guidelines should reflect new understandings about adult protein needs. Nutr Metab 6:12.
8. Lund EM, Armstrong PJ, Kirk CA, et al., 1999. Health status and population characteristics of dogs and cats examined at private veterinary practices in the United States. J Am Vet Med Assoc 214:1336-1341.
9. Morris Animal Foundation, 1991. Animal health survey. Denver, CO.
10. DRI, 2005. Protein and Amino Acids. Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein and Amino Acids. The National Academics Press, Washington, DC.
11. Ross SJ, Osborne CA, Kirk CA, Lowry SR, Koehler LA, Polzin DJ, 2006. Clinical evaluation of dietary modification for treatment of spontaneous chronic kidney disease in cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc 229:949-957.
12. Stratton-Phelps M, 1999. AAFP and AFM panel report of feline senior health care. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 21:531-539.