Advertisement

Pet Food News / Pet Food Packaging
On July 2, 2013

Pet owner asks for warning labels on petfood packaging after dog suffocates

Dog panicked, suffocated after getting cat food bag stuck on head, owner says

A pet owner in Canada is hoping to raise awareness about petfood packaging dangers after her Yellow Lab suffocated after getting his head stuck in a petfood bag, according to a report.

Natalie Burnell took one of her dogs for a walk, while leaving her other dog, Bison, at home in the basement. But, Bison got into a bag of cat food in the home, which got stuck on the dog's head and caused him to panic, Burnell said. Burnell found the dog dead in the basement when she came home.

"I had no idea he could suffocate from these bags. . . . I keep blaming myself for not putting the bag one shelf higher," she said. "It's been such a huge blow. He was such a big part of our lives and we thought he would live a long life.''

Burnell advises pet owners to cut up the petfood bags before throwing them away. She is also asking petfood manufacturers to put warning labels on the packaging so that other owners do not experience the same thing with their pets.

Comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

Petfood Forum China

Advertisement

Advertisement

Read the June issue of Petfood Industry!

June 2015

The June 2015 issue of Petfood Industry profiles the family owned company, CANIDAE, and how it has succeeded in carving a niche in the pet specialty market. The company believes educating retailers about its products and focusing on consumers' needs are keys to maintaining their spot in the market. Plus, learn how pet food manufacturers can use their product’s packaging as a way of branding to attract customers and why companies are eyeing Poland for market expansion opportunities.

READ MORE in Petfood Industry magazine

Advertisement