6 social media tips for pet food retailers
World Pet Association (WPA) released the whitepaper “Social Media Best Practices for Pet Stores.”
World Pet Association (WPA) released the whitepaper “Social Media Best Practices for Pet Stores.” Some of these tips may be relevant to pet food companies as well.
Key social media practices for pet retailers
- Focus on engaging on one or two social media platforms; trying to be an expert in everything will spread your resources thin
- Keep an updated and optimized profile on chosen platforms
- Don’t only sell on social media; engage your followers with content that positions you as an expert
- Create contests and giveaways to boost engagement without directly selling
- Use video, photos and graphics consistently; the right mix of text and images can be a great sales tool
- Have a strategy for using ads (especially on Facebook) as a supplement to help your business stand out
The study provides best practices and guidelines to help pet retailers evaluate and better use the social media tools at their disposal. The whitepaper was compiled by, Crystal Vilkaitis, owner of Crystal Media and SuperZoo guest speaker.
“Social media has become an indispensable tool for retailers and we recognize they’re hungry for information to ensure they're optimizing their accounts,” says Doug Poindexter, president of WPA, in a press release. “By providing a whitepaper focused on this hot topic, we’re giving retailers access to actionable ways to improve their businesses.”
In addition, the piece includes a case study following the social media emergence of The Pet Authority, Inc. in Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA. Over the space of several months, the store eliminated traditional radio advertising in favor of Facebook advertising, following guidance from Vilkaitis and her team. As a result, the store generated 3,600 new fans and realized a 31 percent increase in sales and cost savings of US$1,000.
About World Pet Association
Founded in 1950, World Pet Association (WPA) is a non-profit based in California, USA. WPA coordinates SuperZoo and Atlanta Pet Fair and Conference.
WPA provides guidance on consumer and legislative issues focused on the good of pet industry professionals, as well as the industry as a whole. WPA also works in the public sector to inform consumers and ensure safe, healthy lifestyles for all animals.