Petfood top 10: Riding out the storm
The top 10 petfood manufacturers continue to feel the effects of the global economic meltdown
The names in our annual list of the top 10 petfood manufacturers (Figure 3) may remain the same as in years past, but not all global petfood giants have escaped the effects of the economic meltdown, according to data from Euromonitor. Some companies gained, others lost and others managed to maintain, but all have had to learn to adapt and rebound in this difficult economy.
The following is a breakdown of the highest grossing petfood manufacturers internationally, based on 2009 data provided by Euromonitor International. Please refer to Figures 1-5 for more specific information such as the fastest growing companies and the top companies for dog and cat food launches in the past year.
1. Mars Inc.
- World headquarters: McLean, Virginia, USA (Mars Petcare: Franklin, Tennessee, USA)
- Approximate 2009 global retail sales: US$13.3 billion
- Officers: Pierre Laubies, global president of Mars Petcare; Luc Mongeau, president of Mars Petcare US
- Top brands: Advance, Cesar, Dentabone, Dentastix, Exelpet, Greenies, Jumbone, Natural Choice, Nutro, Pedigree, Royal Canin, Sheba, Temptations, The Goodlife Recipe, Ultra, Whiskas
- Websites: www.mars.com
- Vital stats: Mars Petcare launched the Power of Pets program in 2010, a new community-focused initiative. The company is collaborating with YMCAs in cities across the US to bring pet-friendly health, education and programming to communities.
2. NestlÃ© SA
- World headquarters: Vevey, Switzerland (NestlÃ© Purina PetCare: St. Louis, Missouri, USA)
- Approximate 2009 global retail sales: US$12.9 billion
- Officers: W. Patrick McGinnis, CEO of NestlÃ© Purina PetCare; Terrance Block, president of PetCare North America
- Top brands…