Survey: Dog owners have difficulty choosing pet food
Nearly half of dog owners surveyed agree choosing the right food for their dog is the most difficult part of pet ownership
In light of National Pet Wellness Month in October, Just Right by Purina recently conducted a survey to find out what concerns dog owners have about their dog’s health and wellness, and which aspects they find the most difficult to make informed decisions on.
PSB conducted an online survey among 900 dog-owners in the US. Research was conducted between September 8 and September 11, 2015.
- Nearly half of dog owners surveyed agree choosing the right food for their dog is the most difficult part of pet ownership.
- Half of dog owners surveyed say they think about their dog’s nutrition often.
- More than half of dog owners surveyed (52%) and nearly 7 in 10 Millennial dog owners surveyed (68%) agree their dog’s nutrition is more confusing than their own.
- 70% of dog owners surveyed agree the dog food they select mostly fits their dog’s needs, but is not the perfect fit.
- Of those surveyed, 79% of millennials believe the pet food they select is not the perfect fit.
- Almost 1 in 4 dog owners surveyed say they felt overwhelmed with the amount of choices available the last time they purchased dog food.
- 1 in 4 dog owners surveyed estimated, on average, they spend more than 10 minutes in the dog food aisle deciding between the different blends, brands and flavors available.
- Nearly 4 in 10 (37%) of millennials say they spend more than 10 minutes choosing between the different blends, brands and flavors available.
- When asked about how they would feel if there were a food that could be personalized for their dog’s nutritional needs, dog owners surveyed were primarily positive about this opportunity, with 57% stating they were interested.