Watch on demand now to learn current obstacles of the era with a look towards future meat, rendering industries, as well as alternative proteins additives.
Dive deeper into the current market trends and challenges that are affecting the supply chain, primarily quality protein for pet food. This webinar will focus on the current obstacles of the era with a look towards future meat, rendering industries, as well as alternative proteins additives. Expand your knowledge on the future of pet food, potential fits, and limitations to come. Featured speakers include Dr. Greg Aldrich, president of Pet Food & Ingredient Technology Inc., and David Meeker, Senior Vice President of Scientific Services, North American Renderers Association and
Director of Research, Fats, and Proteins Research Foundation.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN:
- Learn how the food animal feed production spurred by population growth, increased the availability of by-products.
- Learn how population growth, also increased levels of protein in pet foods.
- Review of sources of meat-based pet food ingredients and trends impacting their availability.
- Maximum levels of ash, calcium, and phosphorus have compounded the complexities in pet food formulas.
- New approaches for protein recovery, and acceptance of alternate protein sources - why they will be necessary to sustain pet food into the next generation.
- Alternative proteins to expand the supply base may include such things as novel vegetable protein concentrates, insect protein meals, algal source proteins, and fermentation-derived yeast proteins.
Greg Aldrich Ph.D., president of Pet Food & Ingredient Technology Inc.
Greg Aldrich, Ph.D., president of Pet Food & Ingredient Technology Inc., is an independent nutritionist specializing in foods, ingredients and nutrition for companion animals, as well as research professor and petfood program coordinator for the petfood research production program at Kansas State University. He writes a monthly column for Petfood Industry magazine on ingredient issues. Aldrich earned his doctorate in nutrition from the University of Illinois, a master of science from the University of Missouri and bachelor of science from Kansas State. He has held management and technical positions with Co-op Feeds, the Iams Co., Kemin Industries Inc. and Menu Foods Ltd. He is a member of the American Society of Animal Science, American Society for Nutrition and American Academy of Veterinary Nutrition.
David Meeker, Ph.D., senior vice president scientific services, North American Renderers Association
David L. Meeker, Ph.D., M.B.A. is the Senior Vice President of the North American Renderers Association (NARA). He serves as their advisor on science, regulatory, and animal health issues. He is also Research Director for the Fats and Proteins Research Foundation. He previously served in scientific and management positions at turkey and pork associations. He was a staff director at the National Academy of Sciences and an associate professor at The Ohio State University. He has advised numerous governmental, professional, and business organizations. He received his B.S., M.S., Ph.D., and M.B.A. degrees from Iowa State University in animal science, breeding, and agribusiness.