Although most pet owners assume it's safe to give their pets a bone to chew on, the US Food and Drug Administration recently  called it a "dangerous practice"  that can cause injuries to pets.

"Bones are unsafe no matter what their size," said Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian in the  Center for Veterinary Medicine at the FDA . "Giving your dog a bone may make your pet a candidate for a trip to your veterinarian's office later, possible emergency surgery, or even death."

The FDA listed 10 reasons to not give a pet a bone, including broken teeth, mouth/tongue injuries, blocked windpipe and infections.

"There are many bone-like products made with materials that are safe for dogs to chew on," Stamper said.