1. Respond quickly to product fluctuations;
2. Reduce off-spec production;
3. Improve profitability;
4. Enable customer complaint investigations;
5. Control feedback;
6. Spot production artifacts;
7. Eliminate sampling errors;
8. Characterize drift in processes;
9. Provide statistical analysis of processes; and
10. Control "fast" processes.
From the Petfood Forum 2008 presentation, "In-Line Analysis of Water Activity and Nutrients Using Multivariate Optical Computing" by M.L. Myrick, University of South Carolina. Watch the complete PowerPoint presentation here: http://breeze.sc.edu/petfoodforum08 .