Petfood maker The Honest Kitchen is recalling five lots of its Verve, Zeal and Thrive petfood products after learning that one of its raw ingredients suppliers recalled a batch of human-grade parsley contaminated with Salmonella. The parsely, shipped to the petfood company in 2012, was used as an ingredient in the five lots of petfood being recalled.
The recall applies to petfood manufactured between August 2012 and November 2012, sold throughout the US and Canada via retail stores, mail order and online. The lots being recalled, including item code, name, expiration date, size and lot number are:
- V4 + VR, Verve, 8/20/12 through 8/20/13, 4 lb. and 10-lb. boxes, 2332A (batches 1-3)
- VR, Verve, 11/1/12 through 11/1/13, 10-lb. box, 3062A (batches 8-9)
- TM, Thrive, 9/18/12 through 9/18/13, 1-oz. sample, 2622A (batch 3)
- Z4 + ZR, Zeal, 8/14/12 through 8/14/13, 4-lb. and 10-lb. boxes, 2272A (batches 1-5)
- ZR, Zeal, 9/21/12 through 9/21/13, 10-lb. box, 2652A (batches 1-4)
Consumers who purchased the recalled lots of Honest Kitchen Verve, Zeal or Thrive products should stop feeding the products to pets, remove the UPC (bar code) and lot code from the packaging, and discard the petfood products. Consumers can receive a replacement or refund of the affected products plus US$1 to cover postage, by mailing the UPC and lot code along with a completed reimbursement form to: The Honest Kitchen, 145 14th Street, San Diego, California 92101, Attn: Reimbursements. Refunds will be processed within five business days (plus postage time).
Consumers with questions may contact the company at +1.866.437.9729, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., or via email to email@example.com.
To supplement its quality control processes, The Honest Kitchen is enacting the following additional procedures:
- All dehydrated leafy greens will be steamed to further protect against the possibility of Salmonella and other pathogens
- All leafy greens will receive a second test for pathogens after arrival at the company's manufacturing facility, in addition to the testing conducted internally by suppliers
- The company has discontinued its relationship with the supplier that provided the parsley used in the production of the lots being recalled