1. Kealy RD, Olsson SE, Monti KL, Lawler DF, Biery DN, Helms RW, Lust G and Smith GK: Effects of limited food consumption on incidence of hip dysplasia in growing dogs, J Am Vet Med Assoc , 1992;201:857-863.
2. Kealy RD, Lust G, Lawler DF, Ballam JM, Biery DN, Olsson SE and Smith GK. Limited feed consumption and degenerative joint disease in coxofemoral joints of dogs in a five-year longitudinal study. J Am Vet Med Assoc , 1997;210:222-225.
3. Kealy RD, Lawler DF, Ballam JM, Lust G, Biery DN, Smith GK, and Mantz S. Evaluation of the effect of limited food consumption on radiographic evidence of osteoarthritis in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc , 2000;217:1678-1680.
4. Kealy RD, Lawler DF, Ballam JM, Mantz S, Biery DN, Greeley E, Lust G, Mariangela S, Smith GK, Stowe H. Effects of diet restriction on life span and age-related changes in dogs, J Am Vet Med Assoc , 2002;220,1315-1320.
5. Smith GK, Paster ER, Powers MY, Lawler DF, Biery DN, Shofer FS, McKelvie PJ, Kealy RD. Lifelong diet restriction and radiographic evidence of osteoarthritis of the hip joint in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc , 2006;229:690-693.
6. Smith GK, Biery DN and Gregor TP: New concepts of coxofemoral joint stability and development of a clinical stress-radiographic method for quantitating hip joint laxity in the dog, J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1990;196:59-70.
7. Heyman J, Smith GK and Cofone MA: A biomechanical study of the effect of coxofemoral positioning on passive hip joint laxity in the dog. Am J Vet Res , 1993;54:210-215.
8. Smith GK, Gregor TP, Rhodes WH and Biery DN: Coxofemoral joint laxity from distraction radiography and its contemporaneous and prospective correlation with laxity, subjective score and evidence of degenerative joint disease from conventional hip-extended radiography, Am J Vet Res , 1993;54:1021-1042.
9. Lust G, Williams A, Burton-Wurster N, Pijanowski GJ, Beck KA, Rubin G, and Smith GK: Joint laxity and its association with hip dysplasia in Labrador Retrievers, Am J Vet Res , 1993;54:1990-1999.
10. Popovitch CA, Smith GK, Gregor TP and Shofer FS: Comparison of susceptibility for hip dysplasia between Rottweilers and German Shepherd Dogs, J Am Vet Med Assoc , 1995;206:648-650.
11. Smith GK, Popovitch CA, and Gregor TP: Evaluation of risk factors for degenerative joint disease associated with hip dysplasia in dogs, J Am Vet Med Assoc , 1995;206:642-647.
12. LaFond E, Smith GK, Gregor TP: Synovial fluid cavitation during distraction radiography of the coxofemoral joint in dogs, J Am Vet Med Assoc , 1997;210:1294-1297.
13. Hassinger KA, Smith GK, Conzemius HM, Hill CM and Gregor TP: Effect of estrus cycle on coxofemoral joint laxity, Vet Comp Ortho Traum , 1997;10:69-74.
14. Smith GK. Advances in diagnosing canine hip dysplasia. J Am Vet Med Assoc , 1997;210:1451-1457.
15. Smith GK, LaFond E and Gregor TP. Within-and between-examiner repeatability of distraction indices of the hip joints in dogs, Am J Vet Res , 1997;58:1076-1077.
16. Smith GK, LaFond E, Heyman SJ, Cofone MA and Gregor TP: Biomechanical characterization of passive laxity of the canine coxofemoral joint, Am J Vet Res , 1997;58:1078-1082.
17. Smith GK, Hill C, Gregor TP, Olsson K: Reliability of the hip distraction index in two-month-old German Shepherd dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc , 1998;212:1560-1563.
18. Langenbach A, Giger U, , Green P, Rhodes H, Gregor T, LaFond E, and Smith G. Relationship of degenerative joint disease and laxity in the coxofemoral joint by use of distraction index and Norberg angle measuement in a group of cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1998;213:1439-1443
19. Puerto DA, Smith GK, Gregor TP, LaFond E, Conzemius MG, Cabell LW and McKelvie PJ. Relationships between results of the Ortolani method of hip joint palpation and distraction index, Norber angle, and hip score in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc , 1999;214:497-501
20. Smith GK, Langenbach A, Green P, , Rhodes H, Gregor T, Giger U. Evaluation of the association between medial patellar luxation and hip dysplasia in cats, J Am Vet med Assoc . 1999;215:40-45.
21. Smith GK, Mayhew PD, Kapatkin AS, Shofer FS, Gregor TP. Evaluation of risk factors for degenerative joint disease associated with canine hip dysplasia in German Sheperd dogs, golden retrievers, Labrador retrievers, and Rottweilers. J Am Vet Med Assoc , 2001;219:1719-1724.
22. Mayhew PD, McKelvie PJ, Biery DN, Shofer FS, Smith GK. Evaluation of a Radiographic Caudolateral Curvilinear Osteophyte on the Femoral Neck and its Relationship to Degenerative Joint Disease and Distraction Index in Dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2002;220:472-476.
23. Kapatkin AS, Gregor TP, Hearon K, Richardson RW, McKelvie PJ, Fordyce HH, Smith GK: Comparison of two radiographic techniques for evaluation of hip joint laxity in 10 breeds of dogs, J Am Vet Med Assoc , 2004;224:542-546.
24. Powers MY, Biery DN, Lawler DF, Evans RH, Shofer FS, Mayhew P, Gregor TP, Kealy RD and Smith GK.,. Use of the caudolateral curvilinear osteophyte as an early marker for future development of osteoarthritis associated with hip dysplasia in dogs, J Am Vet Med Assoc 2004;225:233-237.
25. Paster ER, LaFond E, Biery DN, Iriye A, Gregor TP, Shofer FS, and Smith GK, Estimates of prevalence of hip dysplasia in Golden Retrieves and Rottweilers and the influence of bias on published prevalence figures, J Am Vet Med Assoc , 2005;226:387-392
26. Culp WT, Kapatkin AS, Gregor TP, Powers MY, McKelvie PJ, Smith GK. Evaluation of the Norberg angle Threshold: A comparison of Norberg angle and distraction index as measures of coxofemoral degenerative joint disease susceptibility in seven breeds of dogs, Vet Surg . 2006;35:453-459.
27. Szabo SD, Biery DN, Lawler DF, Shofer FS, Powers MY, Kealy RD, Smith GK. Evaluation of a circumferential femoral head osteophyte as an early indicator of osteoarthritis characteristic of canine hip dysplasia in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc , 2007;231:889-892.