1. Is beneficial, safe and healthy for individuals and communities throughout its lifecycle;
2. Meets market criteria for performance and cost;
3. Is sourced, manufactured, transported and recycled using renewable energy;
4. Maximizes the use of renewable or recycled source materials;
5. Is manufactured using clean production technologies and best practices;
6. Is made from materials healthy in all probable end-of-life scenarios;
7. Is physically designed to optimize materials and energy;
8. Is effectively recovered and utilized in biological and/or industrial cradle-to-cradle cycles.
SPC is an industry working group and a project of GreenBlue, a not-for-profit organization. Its members follow cradle-to-cradle principles (designing with the environment in mind, considering all phases of the product lifecycle) and are dedicated to transforming packaging into a system that encourages economic prosperity and a sustainable flow of materials. For more information, visit www.sustainablepackaging.org.