Organic pet food leader Organix has earned Non-GMO Project Verified status for its canned pet food recipes made with organic chicken. Organix, the most complete line of certified organic natural food for pets made under the USDA’s National Organic Program, received this status for undergoing a stringent verification process that recognizes best practices for GMO avoidance in recipe ingredients.
“Just as people want to know what’s in their own food, we believe pet parents should care about what’s in their pet’s food as well,” said Mark Sapir, vice president of marketing for Merrick Pet Care, the maker of the Castor & Pollux Organix brand. “We chose to pursue Non-GMO Project Verified status for our popular Organix chicken canned recipes for cats and dogs so pet parents can easily choose pet foods that avoid GMOs and be further assured that what they’re feeding their pets is safe.”
The Non-GMO Project verification was achieved after in-depth audit of both Organix ingredients and the company’s manufacturing facilities to ensure the company is meeting the highest possible standards for GMO avoidance. As part of the verification, 10 Organix canned food recipes containing organic chicken will bear the Non-GMO Project Verified seal. Recipes include:
- Organix Organic Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe (for dogs)
- Organix Chicken & Potato Recipe (for dogs)
- Organix Grain Free Chicken & Potato Recipe (for dogs)
- Organix Grain Free Organic Chicken & Vegetable Recipe (for dogs)
- Organix Butcher & Bushel Grain Free Organic Shredded Chicken Dinner with Fresh-Cut Potatoes in Gravy Recipe (for dogs)
- Organix Butcher & Bushel Grain Free Organic Tender Chicken Dinner with Fresh-Cut White Potatoes & Apples in Gravy Recipe (for dogs)
- Organix Grain Free Organic Chicken & Chicken Liver Pate Recipe (for cats)
- Organix Grain Free Organic Chicken Pate Recipe (for cats)
- Organix Grain Free Organic Chicken Recipe Shredded in Gravy (for cats)
- Organix Grain Free Organic Chicken & Chicken Liver Recipe Shredded in Gravy (for cats)
Pet parents can expect to see the new cans bearing the Non-GMO Project Verified seal nationwide starting in Summer 2015 everywhere Organix recipes are sold, including PetSmart, natural grocery stores like Whole Foods Market and Sprouts Farmers Markets, and online.
In addition to receiving this verification, Organix canned recipes are also USDA-certified organic and made with 95 percent organic ingredients. Recipes include organic ingredients such as organic chicken, organic fruits and organic vegetables, with no added growth hormones, antibiotics or synthetic fertilizers. All Organix recipes are made in the US in an organically certified facility, and contain no ingredients from China.