Pinterest, Instagram, Flickr, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and a wealth of other social networks facilitate image sharing. Some of the most commonly shared images are digital posters, which are basically text added to a photo or other background. They may be quotes, captions, memes, deep thoughts, charity messages, advocacy, humorous, etc. Pets are one of the most popular poster themes, which means there are virtually endless possibilities for the petfood industry to use digi-posters for engagement and branding.
There are several ways petfood businesses can benefit from digi-posters:
- Brand the image with your URL or logo so it's shared with the digi-poster.
- Link the image to your website on networks that allow it (such as Pinterest).
- Post a clever image on Facebook to boost shares and likes. Shares and likes promote your business on Facebook, and it has a positive impact on search engine ranking.
- Illustrate blog posts to encourage visitors to share them on photo-sharing networks and other social media.
- Publish eye-catching pet food recall information that is easily shared.
Making these posters is as easy as finding an image that isn't copyrighted (or creating a suitable background) and personalizing it with your text. Use a text color that shows up vividly and a clear font for easy reading at a reduced size. Adding text borders or shadows will make the text pop out even more.
Web-based tools for adding text to images include:
- Fotor--Features various fonts, bold, italic, size and color options. You can also rotate text and change text opacity.
- PinWords--Upload an image to add text, or use one of the supplied backgrounds. You can change the font and font color. PinWords has at Pinterest button so you can "pin" directly to the network when you're done.
- AddText--Drag and drop your own image into this free online editor, or choose one from its gallery. The editor includes font style, color and size options that you can drag into the desired position. When you're done, you can download the digi-poster or share it on Facebook, Twitter or Google+.
- Picfont--Place your text on an image, canvas or shape with the Picfont free text tool. Text options include fonts, basic clip art (dingbat font style), colors, sizes, effects and rotation. The canvas and shape options include a choice of background colors. You can download or share your final creation.
- Cheezburger--A popular, feature-rich, free digi-poster tool with a large selection of images (or you can upload your own). Cheezburger has an exceptional selection of pet and animal images for you to use. Text options include basic and dingbat fonts, colors, sizes, effects and opacity. Choose from different styles, from classic poster to breaking news.
- Ribbet--Text options include 100 fonts (or add your own), bold, italicize, align, resize, blend, rotate and flip. Add stickers, frames, effects, borders or captions to your image. You can share your creation on social media, and Ribbet offers a Facebook app. Ribbet is a free, web-based text editor with some photo editing perks.
- Quick Picture Tools--This free tool offers a good font and dingbat selection for adding text to your photo or other image. Quick Picture Tools includes sizing and quality options, along with the standard text options.
- Quozio--Intended for quotes, Quozio asks for the quote and who said it, then you choose a background.
- Gif Magic--Add text to animated or static gifs with this free, web-based image editor. Gif Magic also offers special effects and image optimizing.
- Glitter Photo--Use this free tool to add text (normal or glitter) and other effects to your photos. Options include frames, animations, glitter images, stamps and backgrounds. Download your edited image or save it online.
- PicMonkey--You can do basic customization online with PicMonkey or upgrade for a range of photo editing options.
- SplashUp--A fully featured, web-based photo editor for those who want to do a whole lot more than add text. Splashup runs in all browsers and integrates seamlessly with photo-sharing sites.
You can also download free image editing software. All of the following is fully featured freeware for design and photo editing:
Digital posters are a fun and effective way to engage petfood consumers while marketing your brand. Now anyone can do it!