The first veterinary case of a dog sickened from tainted peanut products has been reported on the US West Coast, according to DVM Newsmagazine .
The dog, a 3-year-old mixed breed from Oakland, Oregon, USA, developed diarrhea after its owners fed it Happy Tails Multi-Flavored Dog Biscuits, a treat containing peanuts from the Peanut Corp. of America (PCA) that was included on the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) recall list and sold at Albertson's grocery stores .
The sickened dog was treated with fluids and antibiotics and is expected to make a full recovery, according to the state veterinarian.
PCA shut down the Blakely, Georgia, USA, plant, and the FDA is conducting a criminal investigation after discovering that the company shipped products even after receiving positive Salmonella tests on the lot. PCA announced Feb. 10 that is also was shutting down operations at one of its subsidiary plants in Plainview, Texas, USA.