There are many factors that have to be taken into consideration when determining the proper diet for a small dog, according to Susan Lauten, PhD, of Pet Nutrition Consulting and Liz Palika, author of The Ultimate Pet Food Guide. Here are eight guidelines owners of small dogs should keep in mind when figuring out how much to feed:
1) Use food manufacturer's guidelines as the starting point for determining proper portion size.
2) Adjust food amounts depending on how active your dog is.
3) Give dogs that have been neutered or spayed less food than their intact counterparts.
4) Choose food designed for smaller breeds if your dog is picky.
5) Understand the serious health risks of improper feeding.
6) Offer the right size treats.
7) Be prepared to adjust to changing dietary needs as your dog ages.
8) Regularly monitor changes in your dog's weight.
By Lindsay Beaton
As work continues on creating a new nutrition label that focuses on simplifying information for consumers, challenges remain.
By Tang Yu