Online sales of these five pet foods and treats were the top sellers on Amazon.com in 2016, according to a report from One Click Retail, “Pet Products: The Amazon Effect.” Amazon’s top selling pet food was Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food with more than US$25 million in 2016 sales. Among pet treats, the top seller was Greenies Dental Dog Treats, bringing in nearly US$10 million in 2016 sales.
- Taste of the Wild dry dog food - High Prairie Canine Formula with Roasted Bison and Venison
- Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon
- Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free dry dog food - Original Turkey and Chicken, 26-Pound Bag
- GREENIES dental dog treats - teenie, original flavor, 130 treats, 36 ounce
- GREENIES dental dog treats - regular, original flavor, 36 treats, 36 ounce
Overall, pet food made up approximately 35 percent of Amazon’s US$2 billion in pet product online sales in 2016.
Year-over-year growth of pet food sales on Amazon
An analyst noted that Amazon.com's YoY [year-over-year] growth rate in pet product sales reflects an increasing trend towards pet food e-commerce.
“Today's pet owners are highly connected and responsible for driving the market toward more online sales market,” said Nathan Rigby, VP of sales and marketing at One Click Retail, in a press release.
Pet food and feeding supplies enjoyed 55 percent YoY growth on Amazon. Online sales of pet food, considered alone, reached 60 percent YoY growth. Pet treats hit 40 percent YoY growth.
“Many consumers are unable or unwilling to carry large, heavy bags of food from the store, especially among today's younger, city-dwelling pet owners, many of whom don’t have a driver's license or access to a vehicle,” wrote Rigby.