1. Packagers looking for more sustainable production can reduce their corrugated use and ensure product protection with display shippers that use up to 50% less corrugated than standard or wraparound cases; and with A-B-C’s Model 206 packer, they can also increase their line efficiency and flexibility, according to the company. â€¨â€¨The Model 206 packs cartons or bottles, single or multipacks into full height, half height or end-panel display trays at speeds to 30 trays per minute. Another new feature for the Model 206 is a servo-operated, high-capacity magazine with auxiliary blank magazine to ensure a continuous supply of materials to the packer. As one tray/case stack is used, another stack is automatically indexed into position, thus minimizing the attention of your line personnel.
A-B-C manufactures a complete line of packaging machinery including case erectors, sealers, packers, decasers, bulk depalletizers and palletizers. www.abcpackaging.com
2. Advanced Poly-Packaging Inc. continues to expand its selection of specialty films used to manufacture pre-opened bags on a roll with the new Advanced Poly-“Green” film. The packaging is 100% degradable, which makes it perfect for customers who are promoting environmentally-friendly and sustainable practices, says the company. The film is even edible—at least by microorganisms. Oxidation causes the molecular chain to break down, making the material brittle. Water can then form a bio-film that attracts microorganisms that feed off the carbon and hydrogen elements. However, the film won’t disappear before it is disposed of. Advanced Poly-“Green” will stay intact under most conditions involving sunlight, moisture and temperature.
For customers looking for a cost-effective way to package foods or spices that require moisture, air or aroma resistance, the company’s co-extrusion triple layer nylon barrier film provides greater durability and stronger barrier features than a laminated variety. www.advancedpoly.com
3. Mondi’s Advantage MG White Cote GR, new to their grease resistance portfolio of packaging products, provides good printability and high grease resistance level for products in the petfood industry, according to the company. The clay-coated surface of the paper ensures printability on Flexo printers. A functional chemical treatment of the fibers provides the high-grease requested by demanding applications. Only bleached virgin kraft paper from PEFC certified suppliers is used for the production to support sustainability efforts.
"After intensive research and development we could achieve the challenging combination of good printability and high grease resistance level in one paper grade," explains Christian Skilich, CEO Mondi Kraft Paper. www.mondigroup.com
4. Sealed Air Corp. has introduced a new variation of Korrvu suspension and retention packaging that combines the best aspects of both formats, says the company. Similar to Korrvu retention packaging, the Korrvu Hybrid package uses a proprietary retention frame and elastomeric film to hold the product securely in place during shipment and distribution. The film is attached to the corrugated retention frame, and when the frame’s side flaps are folded up, the resilient film is loosened. The loosening creates a pocket into which the item is placed. When the flaps are folded down, the film stretches over the product to hold it securely in place.
Since Sealed Air's hybrid design requires fewer steps in manufacturing and assembly than other Korrvu suspension packages, companies can benefit from a lower package cost, source reduction and decreased labor costs. Additionally, the new design allows for side-by-side or stacked display. www.sealedair.com
5. Plastic Ingenuity recently shared its R&D experience with some of the most common bio-resins because of the increased focus on environmentally-friendly initiatives and renewable resources in packaging. PLA (polylactic acid) is a thermoplastic resin derived primarily from corn. The resin Plastic Ingenuity uses is a PLA blend that is specifically designed for its particular extrusion and thermoforming applications and is FDA approved, which allows it to be used in most food packaging applications.
Plastic Ingenuity has focused much of its research and development efforts on developing a high heat deflection PLA, which includes both a special resin blend and a proprietary process modification. These efforts have enabled the company to increase heat deflection temperatures anywhere from 110 to 140 degrees F depending on the blend, which is higher than PET material and comparable to High Impact Polystyrene. www.plasticingenuity.com
6. Plastic Technologies Inc. has launched a new free iPhone/iPad app to calculate the final intrinsic viscosity (IV) for polyethylene terephthalate (PET) resin. The app is the first of its kind for the plastics packaging industry, according to the company. The format, called a nomograph, uses a graphic representation of numerical values to produce a final calculation. PTI’s PET Hydrolytic Degradation Nomograph enables the user to indicate the starting IV by sliding a plot point on a vertical scale to the appropriate value. The same is done for moisture percentage. The two plot points are connected by a moveable line. The intersection of that line, on a third vertical plane, is the material’s final IV.
The nomograph is an ideal tool for plastic processors, resin producers, lab techs, plant production, equipment manufacturers and others involved in the PET process. It can be quickly located in the iTunes App Store by searching for “PET nomograph.” www.plastictechnologies.com
7. WeighPack Systems' Bingo Bagger XL complements the well known and popular Bingo Bagger, widely used in the packaging market. With all the features and benefits of the standard model, the Bingo Bagger XL can handle bags with widths of 16”â€“20” and bag lengths of 14”â€“24” operating at speeds up to 25 cpm, according to the company. Unique to the Bingo Bagger line is that it is the only bagger on the market that offers vacuum and gas flush options at the sealing station. Designed in a mobile, compact footprint and built using 304 S/S standard food grade for all contact parts, the Bingo Bagger XL uses pre-made wicketed bags, both laminated and polyethylene materials.
WeighPack also offers the Swifty Bagger that is specifically designed for pre-made bags including: stand-up, gusset and flat-bottom, with or without zipper closures. The bagger has a straight flow through design with a color touchscreen, variable speed control, no-bag/no-fill sensor, heavy-duty mechanical cam shaft drive and integrated exit conveyor. www.weighpack.com
8. Poly Cello helped design and launch Oxbow Animal Health Inc.'s latest packaging for small animal diets. The new premade LLDPE, quad-bottom bags with pre-attached zippers were custom-designed, 8-color-printed and supplied by Poly Cello. The bag style is more compact with a stand-up base, reclosable zipper system and updated, high shelf impact graphics.
The company also recently introduced SmartPack technology that gives the look of high quality lamination with only one layer. Poly Cello's SmartPack utilizes energy-curing technology, effectively reducing the number of films required for a given package. This volatile organic compound-free process represents a breakthrough in packaging reduction and sustainability, saving production time and expenses, and significantly reducing the package's environmental impact, says the company. www.polycello.com
9. According to Exopack, the company relies on innovation to fulfill their packaging commitments. Solutions like spouted closures which make pouring from stand-up pouches easier and potentially eliminates rigid containers. Exopack also offers custom-engineered structures which are designed for optimal performance and are available in a variety of substrates such as polyethylene, poly amids, polypropylene, polyester, paper, woven polypropylene and composite.
The ShurSeal is tamper-evident technology developed by Exopack that uses a unique adhesive system that ensures fiber tear evidence if seal tampering is attempted. www.exopack.com
10. Peel Plastics knows that consumers are bombarded with marketing messages often through a package's shelf impact. That's why the company works hard to distinguish your brand by using brilliant, high impact print and innovative package design, according to Peel. Using the latest in gas chromatograph technology, Peel also says that the palatability of your food is maintained from your factory floor to the kitchen floor.
Peel's Microperf and valve insertion technologies allow for air evacuation for efficient palletization and product protection. Slider technology allows consumers easy opening of the package without a knife or scissors enabling hands both young and old to easily re-close the package ensuring clean and safe storage. This convenient package means that your customers are not forced to use a secondary container to store your product, re-enforcing your brand message at pet meal. www.peelplastics.com