Pet Food News Pet Food Regulations

Interzoo explains exhibitor considerations for petfood import licenses

Interzoo 2014 has released come considerations for exhibitors looking to gain import licenses for petfood.

According to Interzoo, petfood may only be placed on the market in Germany if it complies with the German or European legal regulations. Exhibitors must therefore check in good time before Interzoo to make sure petfood from their country is allowed to be imported into the European Union (EU) or Germany.This avoids problems at the Border Inspection Posts.

In principle, food for pets and ornamental fish that contains animal by-products may only be imported from third countries which meet the requirements of the valid version of Chapter II Section 1, Table 2, No. 12 of Regulation (EC) 142/2011. The petfood companies must be approved in accordance with EU law. In exceptional cases, an import licence can also be applied for if petfood from unlisted third countries and companies is to be imported for exhibition purposes. In such cases, the petfood may be imported into Germany solely for display purposes and must be rendered harmless and disposed of at the importer's cost at the end of the exhibition.

Each consignment of petfood must be registered in advance (at least one working day before) for inspection by the official veterinarian at an approved Border Inspection Post by submitting a CVED (Common Veterinary Entry Document) in accordance with Regulation (EC) 136/2004. Importation without prior veterinary inspection is prohibited.

The current version of the detailed Interzoo Information Sheet on Importation of Pet Food with further information and Internet addresses is available for exhibitors at and in the ExhibitorShop under "Information and Approvals" (password required for access).

Popular Stories