A report by Clavis Insight, an ecommerce analytics provider, ranked pet food brands by their potential to take advantage of online sales and marketing. Clavis found that Champion Pet Foods is the brand best positioned to sell pet products online.
Champion Pet Foods outperformed competitors Purina, Nature’s Variety, Fromm and a number of others in five key metrics measured including product availability, image presence, content, keyword search, ratings and reviews.
Champion Pet Foods, which manufactures Orijen cat and dog food and ACANA dog food, benefited from top five rankings of those products in Clavis Insight’s analysis. The study measured the online store representation of pet foods on key performance indicators, as listed above, critical to online sales performance.
Additional findings from the Clavis report:
- Stella & Chewy’s was the highest performing cat food brand, with Cats in the Kitchen ranking second. Stella & Chewy also had the highest search score in the entire pet food industry.
- Pet owners are sensitive to what they feed their pets, so strong online content and numerous online reviews are important.
- Orijen was the only cat food brand with a perfect review rating. Overall, 47% of cat food brands achieved a passing score for the category.
- 52% of dog food brands achieved a passing score in the review category, with each of the top brands, including Fromm, Orijen and Zignature receiving a perfect score.
- Fromm dog foods averaged a 4.8 rating from over 5000 reviews, a strong indicator of customer satisfaction.
- Dog food brands had an average availability of 88%, while cat food brands had an average of 87%.
- Nature’s Variety had the highest search score, with 34% of their items appearing on the first search page.