Brought to you by Mondi North America
With the continuing shift to online purchasing behaviors within the premium pet food space, it becomes even more critical for manufacturers to understand the needs, preferences and behaviors influencing pet-related buying decisions.
Mondi Group partnered with Dow Chemical to explore those influencers, gaining insight into differences between online shoppers and traditional retail purchasers of premium pet food when it comes to product and packaging features, appearance and sustainability.
As part of that research process, more than 600 premium pet food purchasers in the United States shared their insights and experiences, weighing in on what they look for when making a pet food purchase, which features would make them consider a brand switch and how much packaging drives their product selection. The resulting research is now available in a downloadable slide deck by visiting https://northamerica.mondigroup.com/change-your-view.html#online-shoppers
Gain Key Insights:
The research available through this free download will allow pet food manufacturing decision makers to:
- Identify high-level needs related to product, price, brand loyalty and package features among premium pet food purchasers
- Explore top drivers of product selection /brand choice among both online and in-store purchasers
- Understand the role sustainability plays in online shoppers’ purchasing decisions, including factors such as type of packaging material, recyclability icons/logos, certifications and recycling instructions
- Evaluate consumer prioritization of packaging features including appearance, material, ease of pouring/storing, ease of opening, nutritional information, ability to reclose, packaging graphics and more
- Gain insights into consumer pain points and satisfaction with current packaging features and identify potential opportunities for future product and packaging differentiators
Following a round of questions to qualify respondents, 605 premium pet food purchasers were successfully surveyed. Criteria to qualify included current pet ownership, a premium dry pet food purchase in the last month and residence in the United States. A subset of 104 participants (18%) who identified as online shoppers were further analyzed to distinguish differences in habits and preferences from traditional retail purchasers.
To ensure the values of the appropriate demographic were captured, all participants underwent a screening process before taking the survey. To qualify, participants must currently own a dog or cat, have purchased one of 17 premium dry pet food brands within a month of participating in the survey, live in the United States and describe their purchase channel. Those who made it through the qualifying round took a 12-minute online quantitative survey, answering questions about their premium pet food buying habits.
Though not representative of all pet food purchasers, some insights may be transferable. Of the 17 brands selected for participation in this study, all currently utilize premium flexible plastic packaging.
Download the research slide deck courtesy of Mondi Group by visiting https://northamerica.mondigroup.com/change-your-view.html#online-shoppers