Merit Bird Co. LLC of Chatsworth, California, USA, is recalling select Vitae brand bird foods because the products have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella.
The following products with lot codes are being recalled:
- Vitae Cockatiel with Sunflower 2 lbs. (#2840081)
- Vitae Cockatiel with Sunflower 4 lbs. (#2840090)
- Vitae Small Hookbill 4 lbs. (#2840225)
- Vitae Small Hookbill 20 lbs. (#2840234)
- Vitae Hookbill with Sunflower 4 lbs. (#2840252)
- Vitae Large Hookbill 4 lbs. (#2840279)
The bird food was shipped between May 2012 and February 2013, distributed through Southern California, USA, retail pet stores.
The company says no illnesses have been reported to date. This recall was the result of a routine testing performed by Specialty Commodities, which revealed that the finished products, including parsley that is on recall from Specialty Commodities, contain Salmonella. The company has stopped production and distribution of the product as FDA and the company continue to investigate.
Consumers should return the recalled products to the place of purchase for a refund. Consumers can contact the company at +1.818.727.1655, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. PST.