What started as an April Fool’s Day prank has become the newest official event in the Tough Mudder lineup. In 2019, Chewy, the leading online retailer of pet products, supplies and prescriptions in the U.S., will sponsor the Ruff Mudder obstacle challenge series (think Tough Mudder for Dogs), debuting on May 18 in Philadelphia.
“Tough Mudder for dogs was initially conceived and shared on social media as a 2017 April Fool’s prank,” said Kelley Kantarian, VP of Partnerships at Tough Mudder, Inc. “There was such a tremendous response that we did a trial event last year, and we sold out in 24 hours. Our new partnership with Chewy helps us build on that success by bringing Ruff Mudder to 10 different metropolitan areas across the country in 2019 – from Boston to Nashville to Seattle.”
Ruff Mudder is designed to offer dogs all the fun of a Tough Mudder, featuring seven pup-friendly challenges, including:
- Mini Everest – Strong hind legs are needed to build momentum and speed to get over the top of this slick, four-foot high quarter-pipe.
- Boa Constrictor – Dogs will scratch and slide through to the other side of this dark and muddy tunnel.
- Mud Mile (x2) – A classic Tough Mudder fan favorite, this mile of mud is doggy heaven. Pups climb over every mound and wade through every valley to conquer this obstacle.
- Mini Berlin Walls (x2) – A mud-slicked two-foot tall wall requiring precise paw-eye coordination to cleanly jump over.
- Mini Mudderhorn – The grand finale of Ruff Mudder has dogs ascending over this thrilling obstacle, reaching victory at the top.
“Chewy is thrilled to partner with Tough Mudder as the presenting sponsor for this year’s inaugural national, 10-city Ruff Mudder event series,” said Orlena Yeung, VP of Brand Marketing at Chewy. “Our partnership with Ruff Mudder centers around a shared focus on active lifestyle and building camaraderie and connections, whether between people or people and animals. This event celebrates the special relationship between people and pets in a fun, exciting and interactive way.”
Tough Mudder’s 2019 official dog food partner is Landmark by American Journey. Available exclusively at Chewy, Landmark offers a selection of ultra-high protein recipes with a premium, grain-free blend of animal proteins, vegetables and other nutrient-dense ingredients. Inspired by a dog’s natural, protein-rich diet, Landmark has been crafted to fuel adventures of adult dogs and puppies alike. To register for a 2019 Ruff Mudder event, pet owners can select a venue here and choose Ruff Mudder as a free add-on to any Saturday event (5K, Classic, Toughest Mudder or Mudder Village Pass). Pet owners must bring leashes and proof of vaccinations and are required clean up after their pups.