FEDIAF EuropeanPetFood has published its annual Facts & Figures about the pet population and pet food market in Europe. This data confirms the growth of pet ownership in Europe with 90 million European households (46%) owning companion animals, which resulted in over 20 billion EUR worth of related services and products.
Matching this trend, the pet food industry has also grown by 3.1% in 2021 and is now worth 27.7 billion EUR. Employment in the sector also increased over the past year, while the number of pet food companies and plants remains unchanged. Similarly, to the previous year, cats (26%) and dogs (25%) remain the most popular companion animals in Europe.
Key European Data:
- 90 million households in the EU own a pet (46%)
- There are around 110 million cats, 90 million dogs, 50 million birds, 30 million small mammals, 15 million aquaria and 10 million terraria
- Annual growth rate of the pet food industry: 3.1%
- Annual sales volume of pet food products: 10.2 billion tonnes
- Annual sales value of pet food products: 27.7 billion EUR
- Related services and products; 23.5 billion EUR
Raquel Izquierdo de Santiago, FEDIAF secretary general, explains: “Despite the many challenges of the past two years caused by the pandemic, it is reassuring that 90 million European households benefitted from the love and companionship of a pet. Given the proven benefits of pets on mental and physical health, FEDIAF continues raising awareness on the beneficial role of pets in society, particularly through the work of the Pet Alliance Europe”.
To read more about FEDIAF data and the benefits of pets, please visit www.fediaf.org